Black Canyon 100K

“The most precious light is the one that visits you in your darkest hour” - Mehmet Murat ildan

My light went out at mile 49 and I had just turned it on. How can that be? The batteries should be fresh. I realized that I had forgotten to change them out before coming to Arizona. And that’s all it took for me to hit a low point. It felt like a dark cloud engulfed my soul and mind with uncertainty. Every long distance runner knows this feeling all too well. Did I pack extra batteries? I quickly checked. A runner passed by and offered her light as I searched my bag.


The morning started out pretty cold and I was grateful for the fire pit that kept me warm. Runners stood around and talked about previous races. A million thoughts raced through my mind as I was waiting for the start. It had flooded a couple nights before and the ground was muddy. The mud was already sticking to my shoes and it felt heavy. Was it going to be like this the whole way? A few runners were picking the sticky mud off their shoes and I wondered if I should do the same. I scraped them on a log and went back into the tent to have a few more bites of food, I was already hungry. It was 7 a.m. and I headed out to the crowd. Suddenly people started running so I followed them not knowing where the start was, it was that crowded. I found myself already under the chute and I thought to myself, oh my gosh I’m way too far up front! I had meant to put myself in the back and there I was running with the front of the pack. I only saw them for a minute before they disappeared into the desert. I took my place in the far right so the faster ones can pass me and we ran.

A few miles in I took my jacket off and wrapped it around my waist, the sun was so hot. The trails were very muddy for the first few miles but after that it was golden. It felt so good to run on dirt! I was smiling. It was my first time running in the desert and I was already falling in love. The trails and the scenery painted my mind with forever memories, gorgeous. I gloriously took my first fall smiling at the camera guy - so embarrassing. Be careful of those small rocks, they are ferocious little beasts.



The first half of the race is downhill and it takes a toll on your legs, but I took it pretty easy so mine felt ok. I came into Black Canyon City and of all places I got lost at that aid station so I spent more time than I wanted. It was loud and crowded. Once I figured out what I was doing I headed out towards the 2.2 mile turnaround point and it took me forever. It was hot. Yes, 55° is torture for this Alaskan. I live in a place where cactus plants are non-existent so who knew you couldn’t touch them 🤷🏻‍♀️ I must’ve spent a good 3 minutes plucking out the prickly things out of my entire left body. People were running quickly past me on the single track trail and I’d forget that cactus weren’t leaning poles, but after that third or fourth time I vowed to never touch one again. They’re still beautiful. I made it down the hill but I was hurting, my legs were feeling it. I wouldn’t call it a low point but I was definitely looking forward to happier trails. After mile 40 I was having fun again, it’s so fun running ultras!

As it started getting darker I put my jacket and gloves on, thankful that I had them with me just in case I got cold (which I didn’t think was possible). I was cold. The sunset colored the skies beautiful. It became dark.

Inevitably you’ll hit a low point during an ultra. You might feel too tired to keep going, it might not be as fun as you thought it would be, things could go wrong, it will be painful, etc. Most of the time I hit mine when it’s dark. I didn’t expect my headlamp to go out and I still had 13 miles to go. I’m grateful for the runner who stopped to share her light so I can check my bag. I did pack extra batteries, good girl. But after putting them in I couldn’t figure out how to secure it. This is the point where I was tired and not the brightest. She couldn’t figure it out either and I thanked her as we continued to make our way up. What I love most about ultras is our willingness to stop to help each other out.

I walked for what seemed like forever and I had all of these worries in my head. What if my batteries fell out and I couldn’t find them? What if my batteries ran out before the finish? My legs hurt. This mile is taking forever I should be there already. I almost cried. Finally I told myself, Carol get it together you’re way ahead of the cut-off time! You’re doing awesome. I smiled when I came into Gloriana Mine.

I figured out how to close the battery case, ate food, and refilled my bottles. I started heading out but I decided to put my light in the lowest setting and accidentally turned on the blue light. I spent a good minute messing with it before a gentleman asked if I needed help. I gave it to him and he couldn’t get it either, so he asked another runner who also couldn’t figure it out. Zach Bitter was standing nearby so it was given to him and he fixed it in one second. I recognized him and introduced myself, he works with my coach under Sharman Ultra. I felt 100 times better with my light situated and I headed out for the finish.

At this point it’s nice having someone to talk to and I met Mike, together we walked the single track hill. It’s pretty tricky running in the dark on the rocky terrain so I took it very easy. Once we got onto less technical ground we started running. Mike told me to run ahead cause I was actually running, I didn’t know it was possible to feel fresh legs at that distance. I passed people and caught up to some guys walking uphill. I ran up and passed them. A guy without light followed mine and I was excited to help him out. But soon it became a competition between him and I. He ran ahead, I followed. I’d catch him and he’d disappear again. We passed a lot of people. I was pushing him and he kept me running. It felt amazing to dig deep within myself and give everything I had when it seemed like there was nothing left.

I finished the race in 16 hours 19 minutes and 40 seconds. Still back of the pack but a huge improvement from my previous races. It felt so good to not race against time. It felt so good to finish.


This long distance run in the desert was one of the best I’ve ever experienced and I won’t be surprised if I decide to go back another year ❤️

Comments

Popular Posts