The Hitchcock Experience

It’s almost heartbreaking. But I’m blessed to have the insight to see it as heart strengthening. I’m a stronger person physically, mentally, and emotionally because I’ve learned how to use pain as a stepping stone. And I went through an incredible amount of pain this past weekend.

This journey to 100 miles began when my best friend signed up for one. I didn’t even know such things existed and it intrigued me. I signed up for a 20 miler at the same event to support her. She ended up opting for the 100k distance, still an amazingly long way to travel on foot. When I finished my race I sat around and witnessed these endurance runners come in and out every lap. A fire in me sparked and I knew that someday I would be like them.

After running a few ultramarathons I decided to attempt my first 100 and I thought it would be awesome to do it on my birthday. I chose the 2017 Hitchcock Experience 100 miler for its similar weather conditions as my home in Alaska, but I was completely oblivious of the amount of climbing and descending that it demands. The hills are small, but together they stand respectably among some of the tallest mountains in the world. More than half of those who start this race won’t finish. If I had known this I wouldn’t have even tried. But I’m grateful that I did because I have absolutely fell in love with its trails and the people that run it.

In 2017 I knew after the second lap that I would try to make it to 50 miles. It took an extreme amount of effort to complete 4 laps but I did it through perseverance. At the base checkpoint I told the race officials that I had the heart but not the body as I bowed out of the race. They graciously gave me a 50 miler finisher’s medal and I went home determined to return.

And now I sit here at the airport reflecting on my 2nd attempt for which I poured my heart and soul into and it wasn’t quite enough. Almost. I was 15 miles shy of finishing it. After running 85 miles and climbing over 18,000 ft in extremely cold conditions with wet feet, I threw in the towel. My pacer and I were at risk for severe hypothermia as I was already in the beginning stages of it. Honestly, I’m crying tears writing this because I tried so hard and I wanted it so badly. But I bowed out as I did last year and I will return again. Thank you to all of my supporters who believed in me. I’ll be back and I will finish it ❤️


Comments

Popular Posts